I was blown away by the beauty of the South Australian landscape. Golden fields dotted with sheep and hundred-year-old gum trees, natural pink and blue wildflowers grew in random patches on the side of the road. Anyone in Canada would die to have them in their gardens but they grew naturall in this dry climate. The grass was golden and the dark green grape vines grew in neat rows, heavy dark berries framing their gnarled trunks. I was truly impressed.
We started off by visiting the Barossa Dam which is built in such an angle that if you are standing on one side of the damn you can hear people speaking from the other side. It was a pretty cool phenomenon you can see the video in the videos section.
Our second place was a very small gem called Rockford. The winery was housed in an old dairy farm and it’s European flair was a joy to behold. Pierre couldn’t take enough pictures of it. I walked away with a light and fruity red wine, perfect to share while on the beach.
On our way to lunch, we stopped at a beautiful lookout that took in the view of almost the entire Barossa valley. Even though the climate is hot, this time of year it was quite chilly and I kept my sweater on when I wasn’t in the car.
Next was the famous Peter Lehman Winery which produces wines sold all over the world. I must have tasted 10 different wines, but ended up buying a sparkling muscato. We then ate a wonderful meat and cheese platter on a picnic table by the shade of a willow tree.
By then we were a bit sick of wine tasting (at least I was) and we made a pit stop at a home made food store where they sold ice cream such as Honey Burnt Fig Caramel or Vanilla Bean Elder Flower.
We all slept on our way back to the hotel, it was a great day and one of the first really relaxing days I’ve had since leaving home last Saturday. Tomorrow we leave for Cairns, and the beach. I can’t wait to start working on some of the wines we bought.
5 comments:
Nice photos and it's great to hear how you guys are enjoying your adventures in Aussieland. Let us all know how those wines went down, which ones you suggest we should look for in Montreal.
Joëlle
I hope Pierre's memory card doesn't wear out taking all those pictures..
Warren
I second Joëlle! Let us know what wines we should be looking for in Montreal. Can't wait to see all of Pierre's pics...It's amazing that those tropical birds are just all out in the wild! When I first saw the picture I thought you had gone to a zoo!
What I learned was that wine is like art. It's enjoyment is quite individualistic. I did find a nice light very fruity grape called moscato and it would be great for summer bbqs or to go with dessert.
Memory cards still running fine!
The wine tour was just amazing...beautiful weather and just enough wine to make one happy :)
Post a Comment