I wasn’t feeling very well, so we headed down to the port city of Cairns for a bit of shopping and relaxing. Cairns is located on the north eastern part of Australia right on the edge of the Great Barrier Reef. Tons of cruises, diving ships and touring ships leave from the port of Cairns. To travel all over the South Pacific. We decided to book a day cruise to the reef while we got there, and because of the unusually rough waters the agent told us that our cruise might be cancelled. I hoped it wouldn’t be, even though I wasn’t feeling good I was still willing to have some fun.
We walked through Esplanade Street , it was extremely touristy with many souvenir shoppes, pubs and jewellery stores. We passed by a McDonalds that had free WIFI. Too bad I didn’t take my laptop so I could upload some pictures. We also passed by a Hungry Jack’s which seemed too much like a Burker King to be just a coincidence. Turns out that the name Burger King in Australia was already trademarked so they had to choose Hungry Jack’s. Still the same crappy food anyway.

We soon discovered “The Lagoon” which is a huge outdoor beach/pool right at the ocean’s edge, so we settled down and took some sun for a couple of hours. Queensland is the skin cancer capital of the world. Because the ozone layer is practically at 0 around here it is very important to wear a hat, sunglasses and loads of sunscreen.
I was starting to feel better towards the end of the day. I guess the sun burned out the cold virus from my nasal passages
No comments:
Post a Comment